As Facebook provides no feature to tell if someone declines or ignores your friend request, I’m here to help. In this post, you’ll learn how to tell if someone declines your friend’s request on Facebook.
You get a notification when someone accepts your friend’s request on Facebook, but you don’t get any if someone declines or ignores it. While this may sound like a good idea, there are also many reasons why you may want to know if your friend request was accepted or declined.
Also, you’ll learn some of the reasons someone may decline or ignoring your friend’s request and what to do about it.
How to Tell If Someone Declines Your Friend Request On Facebook (Desktop)
When you send someone a friend request, Facebook notifies them of your request. They can then choose to either accept or decline. A third option that technically doesn’t exist is ignoring the request, and you already know what that means.
If you primarily access Facebook on a desktop computer, the steps to checking if someone declines your friend request will be subtly different from if you access Facebook from a mobile device.
- How to Tell If Someone Ignores Your Friend Request
Here is how to tell if someone ignores your friend request on Facebook from a desktop computer based on Linux, Windows, or macOS.
- Launch your favorite web browser and enter the Facebook web address. Log in with your email or phone number and password if you aren’t logged in already.
- Click on the notifications icon at the top right corner. With the new Facebook redesign, friend requests no longer have a dedicated section. Instead, all your friend requests live inside of the notifications area.
- After a few notifications, you’ll see the Friend Requests section. Click on the See All beside “Friend Requests” to load up your friend requests.
Here, you’ll see everyone who has sent you a friend request that you’re yet to reply to. At the top right corner, click on “See All.” The text is really small, and it’s right below the icons at the top right.
- You’ll see a page with all your friend requests at the left sidebar which you can click on to view their profiles. Above all of these names is a small link that reads “View all sent requests.” Click on this link to see all your Facebook friend requests that are yet to be replied to.
Keep scrolling to see all your friend requests that have been ignored. Here, you can either choose to leave it as is or remove the friend request; the choice is yours.
- How to Tell If Someone Declines Your Friend Request
While Facebook will let you see a list of people who have ignored your friend request, they’re not very willing to show you those that are brave enough to decline your request outright.
However, we’ve worked around this. Here is how to tell if someone declines your friend request on Facebook.
- Open Facebook on your favorite web browser on your desktop.
- Using the search bar at the top, search for the name of the user in question. When it brings up their profile, click on it to view their full profile.
- Just under their profile picture before the items on their profile, you should see a button that either let you add them as a friend, follow them, or cancel your friend request.
If the button shows “Add Friend” or “Follow,” it means the user declined your friend request without thinking twice. However, if it lets you remove your friend request, it means they haven’t replied to the request yet, and they probably might.
How to Tell If Someone Declines Your Friend Request on Mobile
If you use your mobile phone as your primary Facebook device, the steps to check if someone has declined your request will stay the same, but the steps to check if someone has ignored your friend request will be slightly different.
Here is how to tell if someone is ignoring your friend request on Facebook for mobile (Android and iOS smartphones).
- Launch the Facebook app on your smartphone and tap on the three horizontal lines at the top right. If you use Facebook on your smartphone somewhat often, you should know that Friend Requests have moved.
- From this menu, tap on “Friends” to see all of your friend requests, and tap “See All” atop the friend requests to see all of the requests without any friend suggestions.
- At the top right corner of the interface, tap on the three dots arranged horizontally and the “Sent Requests” option will pop out from the bottom. Click on it to view all the friend requests you’ve sent without a reply, from the newest to the oldest.
What to do If Someone Declines or Ignores Your Friend Request on Facebook
If someone is seemingly ignoring your friend request on Facebook, they probably haven’t seen it. Some people receive a large volume of friend requests every day, so much that they may be unable to accept yours, even if they want to.
This leads to the second reason why your friend request may go unnoticed. If you sent a friend request to someone with almost 5,000 friends, they will be unable to accept your friend request if they get to 5,000 friends before seeing it.
Someone may decline your friend request by mistake, or because they already reached the 5,000 friends limit. Lastly, and less commonly, someone may decline your friend request because they don’t want to be your friend.
If someone declines your friend request on Facebook, you shouldn’t resend the request. It’s more self-respecting to let them resend the friend request if it was a mistake.
Also, asking someone to accept a pending friend request doesn’t sound very interesting.
And here’s how to tell if someone declines your friend request on Facebook. Facebook friend requests may mean nothing in real life, but they’re a good indicator of what they couldn’t tell you to your face.
If someone declines your friend request, they just don’t want to be your friend. If they ignore it for too long, they may just be too popular, or they’re passively trying to avoid you altogether.