AirPlay not working on LG TV is one of the big and annoying issues some people are currently facing on their LG TV. In this article, Id reveal the causes and the troubleshooting tips to get rid of the issue.
AirPlay is a wireless communication protocol suite developed by The Ape Inc. This feature allows streaming on devices for audio, videos, photos, related metadata, etc. Originally called AirTunes when it was only comparable for iOS devices, Apple Inc. over the years has licensed the feature as a third-party software component to manufacturers that make their products compact-able to Apple devices.
LG Electronics overtime have made their products compatible with Apple devices so they are manufacturers that have the AirPlay features on their products and upon development, LG also supports AirPlay 2.
Some list of LG TVs that offer the AirPlay app are;
- LG NanoCell – Nano 80, 85, 90, 95, 97, 99 series (2020)
- LG NanoCell – SM81, SM86, SM90, SM95, SM99 series (2019).
- LG UHD TV – UN69, UN70, UN71, UN73, UN85 series (2020)
- LG UHD TV – UM69, UM71, UM73, UM75, UM80 series (2019)
- LG UHD TV – UK7, UK62 and above series (2018)
- LG UHD TV – UJ60, UJ62, UJ63, UJ64, UJ65, UJ77 series (2017)
- LG UHD TV – UH55, UH60, UH61, UH63, UH65 series (2016)
- LG Super UHD TV – SK8 and SK9 series (2018)
- LG Super UHD TV – SJ80, SJ85, SJ95 series (2017)
- LG Super UHD TV – UH76, UH77, UH85 UH95 series (2016).
- LG OLED – C1, G1 (2021 model)
- LG OLED – RX, ZX, GX, CX, WX, BX series (2020 model)
- LG OLED – B9, C9, E9, R9, W9, Z9 series (2019)
- LG OLED – B8, C8, E8, G8 series (2018 model)
- LG OLED – B7, C7, E7, G7, W7 (2017 model)
- LG OLED – B6, C6, E6, G6 (2016 model).
How To Stream On Your LG TV Via AirPlay
To stream on your LG TV via AirPlay, you need an iOS device as AirPlay is only supported on iOS.
The steps to take for a successful streaming via AirPlay is as follows;
- Turn on your LG TV and connect to a Wi-Fi internet server.
- Press the HOME button on your remote and access the HOME DASHBOARD
- Select AIRPLAY from the dashboard access the Settings menu.
- Turn the AirPlay ON
- Select the REQUIRE CODE tab and select FIRST TIME ONLY to enter the code to complete the initial setup.
- Click the option EVERYTIME to enable providing the code when connecting TV next time.
- Connect your iOS device to the same Wi-Fi network server to the one connected to your TV.
- On your iOS device, connect to the LG TV.
- Open the Airplay app and select your LG TV from the available devices.
- Choose the content you wish to stream Connect to the TV with the code used for setup.
- On the media screen you plan to cast, access the Airplay tab and you can begin to view the content via the TV.
How To Fix AirPlay Not Working On LG TV
Trying to use the AirPlay via your TV, you could be stuck because your iOS device won’t connect to your TV or the AirPlay refuses to work on your LG TV.
You can solve this problem by sticking to these guidelines;
- Wi-Fi Internet Connection
Access the Network interface from the Home page on your TV to ensure that there is a common internet connection between your iOS device and your LG TV. If there isn’t, reestablish the connection.
- LG TV Connection
Check through the AirPlay interface for the connected devices and make sure that it’s the correct LG TV that it is connected to. If it is not, cancel all established connections on the App, Turn Off your TV and then ON after a few seconds. Take the connecting process again and ensure to connect to the correct TV this time.
- Firmware update
If you are using a model of the LG TV that does not have the AirPlay feature as inbuilt, then you would need to update your TV’s firmware to have access because with an update you get to use the AirPlay 2 feature.
” For an Automatic update, you need to have a functioning internet connection. To update automatically, take these steps;
- Press the HOME button on your remote to access the Home page interface.
- Select SETTINGS > ALL SETTINGS.
- Choose the GENERAL MENU.
- On the menu page, select the option ABOUT THIS TV.
- Turn on the Automatic update and click the CHECK option.
If an update is found, select it to download and follow the on-screen instructions to install and apply it after its download.
Check the Home page to check for the added features (AirPlay) and make use of them.
- Press the SMART button on your remote to open the Homepage on your TV.
- Select SETTINGS > OTHERS > SOFTWARE UPDATE.
- On the “Update Options” interface, your current TV Software version will be displayed, switch the SOFTWARE UPDATE to ON option if turned OFF to enable updates notifications.
- Click the CHECK UPDATE VERSION tab.
- If an update is available, you will receive a notification and an option to UPDATE, select the option.
- Once there is no network disruption, the update will begin and a progress bar will be displayed.
- This progress might take time, so make sure it is not interrupted.
When complete, try your TV out for the AirPlay connection.
” For a Manual Firmware update, these are the steps to take;
An internet connection is also needed for this mode of update.
- On your Computer, log onto LG’s “Support Home Page”.
- Fill in your TV model number into the search box and select your model from the model prediction drop-down list.
- Select the tab ” SOFTWARE & DRIVERS” to download the latest firmware file for your TV model.
– If not changed, the firmware should be downloaded into the DOWNLOAD folder on your Computer. If changed, search the folder into which you selected for your downloaded files and select the just downloaded firmware update file.
- Right click on the file and click the option EXTRACT.
- Connect a USB drive to the computer.
- On the root of the USB Drive, create a folder with the name: LG_ DTV.
- Move the unzipped update file into the folder. The file should be EPK type.
- Turn ON your TV and insert the USB drive into the USB port on the TV.
- The TV would search for the specific name “LG_DTV” for the update.
When the folder is found, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update process.
Where there is a display but no audio, check your TV and other stereo devices to make sure that the volumes are not turned low.
In the situation where the AirPlay does not stream content to your TV and all connections are correct, the problem might be from your Wi-Fi network serving router. So, turn OFF your router, wait for a few secs, turn it back ON and reconnect.
Make use of the SLEEP button on your remote to ensure that your TV is not on sleep mode or sleep timer isn’t switched ON.
Mac Firewall adjustment
If using MAC and AirPlay is not working on your LG TV, check your MAC firewall if it’s blocking the connection. A rule on your firewall might block the connection so follow these instructions to view and change your firewall to solve the problem or adjust such rule;
- On your MAC, go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES.
- On the next page interface, select SECURITY & PRIVACY.
- Navigate to the Firewall tab and select the FIREWALL OPTIONS.
- Uncheck( ) the option “block all incoming connections”.
- Check(√} the option “Allow downloaded signed software to receive incoming connections automatically.
- Click OK to apply and save the changes.
iPhone Network Reset
If you confirm the problem is from your iOS device, the option would be to reset your network. This action would delete all your saved networks,connections and password, reset all that concerns your network to the factory default.
NOTE: Turning the Airplane Mode on and off, restarting your iPhone, and reconnecting the Wi-Fi might help you resolve the internet connectivity issues without having to do a network reset in your phone.
The short step to reset your iPhone network is as follows:
- Open the SETTINGS tab and select GENERAL.
- Navigate through the options and choose RESET at the bottom of the Settings menu.
- On the next page display, select RESET NETWORK SETTINGS. If prompted, provide the passcode and confirm your action.
- Restart your LG TV: Restarting your TV by turning it on and off can also solve the issue.
This article has shown you how to fix AirPlay not working on LG TV. If you have any other problem that you’re facing on your LG TV, talk to us via the comment section.