You’ve put a ton of cash to purchase a pair of earphones with a built-in mic for your phone. Wouldn’t it be nice to use the earphone as MIC on your PC? In this article, you will learn how to use phone headphones as a microphone on the PC.
Do you want to converse with friends online? or you just want to record something or make an announcement, however you’re without a mic. You’ve probably known about people using earphones as a MIC and you have been wondering how it functions.
Many people don’t know that earphones and MIC are the same as in development. Although the sound nature of re-purposed headphones is substandard compared to purpose-built microphones however, they can be improved somewhat using sound settings in the PC.
The biggest problem with using your headphones as MIC on PC is that most full-sized desktops separate headphone and microphone jacks, while phones and laptops combine them into a single 3.5mm port. In this way, you can either plug them into a desktop’s headphone audio-out port and listen or plug them into the microphone-in port.
If your headphone has the Bluetooth feature, it will be great to use it. However, the connection is intended for cell phones and isn’t really adequate regarding latency or quality.
When there’s no other option, earphones can be used as a microphone if you know how to make them work.
How To Use Phone Headphones As A Microphone On PC
- For a PC, plug your headphones into the mic input jack.
- open up your computer preferences and select “Manage Audio Devices”.
- Tap on the recording tab and tap or blow into your headphones to see if it picks up the input.
If it does, you’re all set! You can set the headphone “mic” as default for your machine and you’ll be able to use your headphones as a microphone.
How can I use my headset’s microphone on my Windows 10 PC?
- Plug your headphones and make sure that the drivers for the device are loaded.
- You’ll most likely need to confirm that it shows up in the Device Manager.
- Open File Explorer from the Taskbar.
- Right-click ‘This PC‘ and tap ‘Properties‘ from the menu that opens.
- In the System window that opens, select ‘Device Manager‘ from the left segment.
- Confirm that your headset is listed and isn’t showing any outcry marks
- Next, right-click the small speaker icon down next to the clock on the taskbar.
- Select ‘Recording Devices’ to open the control application for audio.
- There are probably multiple devices listed – tap the microphone you want to use and with it highlighted, click the button for ‘Set as default device’.
How to advance the sound
You have the option to advance the headphones and microphones for their respective jobs. It is recommended to adjust some volume and EQ settings to get the best experience.
To adjust the overall input volume, select “Sound” in your control panel. Here, you can give your improvised mic a volume boost. However, it’s worth noting that if you overdo it here, you can expect clipping and sound leakage.
If you do not have any other option, earphones can function as a shoddy microphone, however, you can’t anticipate top-notch sound.
Hope you have learned how to use phone headphones as a microphone on PC? Have you used earphones as a mic previously? Tell us your involvement in the comments box. Cheers!